You’re in the kitchen whipping up some home-cooked meals to take control of your food intake. Good for you! However, did you know that many of us are guilty of certain mistakes that take us off the healthy track? Here is a list of things to consider as you cook a healthy and delectable meal:
- What kind of oil do you use? If you are using the wrong types of oil for sautéing, you may be doing more harm than good. While olive oil is one of the healthiest around, heating it up past its smoke point can work against your healthy ways. Save it for your salad… and think about using sunflower oil sparingly as you sauté and grill your favorite foods.
- Do you believe that one size suits all? Serving sizes must be kept under control. Just because you whip up a huge pot of healthy soup doesn’t mean you have to wolf it down in a day! Make a huge pot of food for your family and save leftovers for the next day.
- Do you use a roasting pan with a wire rack? Not using a wire rack in your roasting pan can create an environment where your meat or chicken is literally bathing in its own fat. Avoid a greasy soak by investing in the right tools and pans for cooking the healthy way.
- Are you a spice lover? Well you should be! Spices add that missing element our foods often need. Don’t always rely on the salt shaker to boost your meal. Cut out unnecessary fat and salt and go crazy with a concoction of super herbs and spices instead.
- Do you know your limits? Use the right amount of oil when cooking up your favorite recipes. Too much oil can add a ton of excess calories if you do not pay attention. Why not consider investing in a spray can of oil to keep it to a minimum?