Nowadays, we continuously take things just for ourselves… from other people, from the earth, and even from Mother Nature. The question is: do we actually take the time to give something back? I recalled the following story as it was really touching and inspiring.
It was during Christmas 2013 when Canada’s most preferred airline, WestJet, aimed to spread happiness and joy of the season by activating something sentimental and interactive for its customers and employees. The airline delighted travelers with a real-time holiday surprise - delivering personalized gifts to guests arriving in Calgary under the social media campaign called “Christmas Miracle.” Having captured the whole experience, WestJet posted the video on YouTube, and within a few days, it became the most shared viral advertisement in 2013. The timely and engaging experience created by the brand seized the hearts and minds of people all over the world.
Maybe some of our local brands can make use of such activation tactics to put smiles on people’s and kids’ faces since such authentic and personal experiences can really make a difference…
During the Christmas season, it is acknowledged that people give and receive gifts from their family and friends. Over the past couple of years, I have come to realize that the holiday season has become so commercial that people have lost the sense of giving from the heart. I don’t mind receiving a thoughtful card with a positive affirmation from a family member (as long as it really comes from the heart), instead of a tech-gadget or a piece of jewelry.
In order to practice giving all year long, keep the following tips in mind:
- On your way to work, as you pass by many people on the road, in the bus, at the gas station, etc., lend a helping hand to anyone who needs it. Just do it!
- We often expect, hope, and wait for good things to happen to us. Have you ever asked yourself how could you do ‘good’ for others? Think about it as your friends or even strangers expect good things from you too.
- Give a portion of what you earn to those who are in need and see how you will feel blessed and happy. Helping others is a part of human nature.
- Make the attitude and act of “giving” a kind and natural approach in your everyday life.
- When you give a smile to the world, the world will smile back to you. Do not underestimate the power of energy. When you are positive and at peace with yourself, you attract positive energy and will inevitably attract good opportunities and good people to you.
“No one has ever become poor of giving.” – Anne Frank