Bet you didn’t know that microwave of yours isn’t only for heating leftovers! There are several other uses that you need to know about right now.
- Disinfect your sponges! Yep, that stinky sponge that thrives with bacteria can be thoroughly cleansed in your microwave. Start by soaking your sponge in a bowl of water that contains a bit of vinegar or lemon juice and then heat on high for one full minute. Presto! Clean sponges in a jiffy.
- Cook potatoes for dinner! Prick a small to medium size potato all around with a fork and cook for approximately 2 minutes in the microwave; then turn over and cook for a couple minutes more. Best bet is to always check your food for doneness every 30 seconds.
- Roast that head of garlic! Forget the grill… get your roasted garlic head to the table in only 8 minutes. Slice off the top of the head and place in a small but deep dish. Season with salt and pepper and add a drizzle of olive oil. Add a couple spoons of water to the bottom of the dish, cover with plastic wrap, and cook on medium heat. Done!
- Help the BBQ man of the house! Before throwing your veggies onto the barbeque for grilling, partially cook them in the microwave for a minute or two depending on your variety.
- Toast your nuts baby! Spread your nuts onto a plate and heat on high in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes. Be sure to stir them every 30 seconds. Take care since they will continue to cook for a minute more when removed from the microwave.