As parents, we spend a lifetime teaching our kids about morals. Though this is essential to raise a “good kid,” it does not guarantee this kid will grow up to become a healthy one. You want to build a healthier generation? Feed them right, as of their next breakfast. Kick off a super-nutritious day with Foul Moudamas (fava beans) endorsed with muscle-building protein, digestion-friendly insoluble fiber, cholesterol-lowering soluble fiber, and other nutrients that will flood your kids with wellness both inside and out.
Foul Moudamas: An ancient tradition that needs revival!
Foul Moudamas is a traditional Egyptian dish with the central ingredient being fava beans. Loaded with nutrients, this dish highly deserves being brought to your table as 1 cup of cooked fava beans has around 187 calories and ensures 26% of the daily recommendation of proteins and 37% of that of fiber, making it an excellent choice to build muscles, improve digestion, and promote better heart health. Additionally, it is rich in phosphorous, copper, manganese, iron, magnesium, and folate… and very low in saturated fats and sodium.
Foul Moudamas: Authenticity upgraded with even better nutrition!
Looking to twist the traditional Foul Moudamas a little and make it even more nutritious? Offer it to your kids with onions, tomatoes, mint leaves, olives, and fresh mushrooms. Here’s how:
- Soak 2 cups of dried fava beans overnight in water with 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda.
- Drain and wash the beans.
- Put the beans into a saucepan and generously cover them with water.
- Boil and then simmer for around 2 hours.
- Mash some of the beans with some lemon juice and crushed garlic.
- Add these to the remaining beans with ½ cup lemon juice, 3 cloves of crushed garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Serve in bowls and drizzle with some olive oil.
- Top with diced green onions, diced tomatoes, mint leaves, pitted green and black olives, and sliced fresh mushrooms.
- Enjoy with whole wheat Arabic bread or Markouk bread.
The benefits of having Foul Moudamas for breakfast extend beyond good nutrition and healthily starting off the day. It creates a warm family atmosphere that bonds you together for a lifetime. As weird as it sounds, it looks like authenticity never wears out.