Exercising has numerous benefits, but sticking to the same routine can definitely leave you bored and unmotivated. Besides, fitness experts advise changing up your workout routine every now and then to get better results. When it's time to try something new and shake things up a little, Mixed Martial Arts can be the perfect alternative. Here are some valid reasons why you should consider taking up MMA!
1. Cardio: MMA gives you an excellent cardio workout. There is constant and intense action involved… only a couple of minutes can leave your heart pounding and the sweat dripping. Training MMA also teaches you endurance, the capacity to work hard for an extended period of time. Aerobic exercise is also so important; its benefits include improved heart health, increased blood circulation, increased metabolism, and a better mood, just to name a few.
2. Muscles: MMA workouts include weightlifting training. You might even have to lift the person right there in front of you! This helps you build more muscle over time. During MMA, you train your entire body. It doesn't target any single muscle, but improves your overall strength. All movements require twisting and rotation, including punches, kicks, and jumps… using your own body weight.
3. Weight loss: MMA burns an impressive amount of calories. You can burn up to around 500 - 600 calories an hour, depending on your body weight. The workout is so intense that you might actually start seeing results during the first weeks of training. MMA can be a great way to lose weight, however, you must also pay attention to your caloric intake.
4. Self-defense: MMA not only keeps you fit, it also teaches you self-defense skills! It shows you how to throw a good punch, how to kick, and how to fight… and if the need arises, at least you know how to defend yourself against an attacker. This can also build your self-confidence; you won’t be easily threatened, and you can face any difficult situation without fear.
5. Stress relief: Training MMA gives you the chance to kick, punch, fight, and scream, releasing all the tension from everyday life. It is a huge stress reliever and satisfies the need for aggression; you get to express your anger without actually kicking the hell out of someone else. There's already enough violence in this world.
6. Self-Discipline: MMA also teaches you discipline of the mind and body. Discipline is needed in many aspects of our daily life, and without it, you cannot possibly achieve anything. It also teaches you self-control to avoid fights and defend yourself only if necessary. Most importantly, it teaches you to respect the instructor, your teammates, and others.
7. Healthy lifestyle: Finally, like any other sport, MMA increases the quality of your life. It encourages you to eat more healthy, helps you sleep better, and improves your overall health. Studies show that those who practice MMA have 10% less body fat than those who had no training, in addition to greater flexibility and twice the balancing power.