“Buy one, get one free!” Two items must be better than one! We all seem to be obsessed with “stuff.” We keep shopping for more clothes, more toys, more junk food…. The more the better, right? WRONG.
Having a lot of stuff around occupies a part of your mind, even if you don’t realize it. When you let go of old, unnecessary things, it frees you emotionally in order to let new opportunities and experiences into your life.
If you want to benefit from living in a clutter-free environment, do the following:
- If there’s a piece of clothing you haven’t worn within the past year, get rid of it.
- Don’t hold on to items that are either too big or too small for you, expecting one day to gain or lose weight. Get them out!
- Each time you buy a new article of clothing you should discard or give away a piece.
- Don’t save all of your children’s school and art work. Pick a couple of special pieces each year and discard the rest.
- Tidy up one drawer a day which should only take 10 minutes max.
- Discard or give away toys that your kids do not play with anymore. Throw away little trinkets and items from fast food meals.
- Have a specified place for everything to be put away. Not only will it be easier for everyone to clean up, but when you need something, you will know where to find it.
- Ask yourself: Do I love it? Do I need it? Is it essential? Does it enhance my life?
When your living space becomes decluttered, you will be amazed how your mind and soul become a lot roomier.