Remember the days when you didn't have such an array of choices when it came to buying your salt and pepper? Nowadays, you have plenty of options, especially for the gourmet cooks at heart. Let's discover the choices of today:
- Table Salt: The classic choice of all, table salt is usually fortified with the mineral potassium iodide. The fine texture makes it ideal for a dash when baking.
- Kosher Salt: This is a coarse version of table salt without the added elements. The coarse crystals are great for seasoning your cooked dishes.
- Sea Salt: Attained from the good old sea, sea salt is full of flavor. You can find varieties such as fine, coarse, and fortified. Adds fantastic flavor to your meals.
- Fleur de Sel: Gathered from the surfaces of salt ponds, these are on the pricey side! They are often used as the delicate final touch to fish and veggies.
- Black Peppercorns: Grind these skin-on peppercorns for a glorious, strong flavor for your dishes.
- White Peppercorns: These skinless peppercorns have a milder flavor than their dark friends. Grind into dishes such as mashed potatoes.