Are you sick and tired of the same old steamed broccoli? Do your kids frown when they see this often boring veggie on their plate? Do something completely different this week with your healthy greens. Here are 5 ways to use up that head of broccoli sitting in your fridge:
- Make broccoli soup: Throw your flowerets into a pot with one big onion cut into 4, a carrot chopped into chunks, and a medium size potato cut into cubes. Add enough chicken stock to cover and simmer away till all veggies are soft. Once done, transfer everything to your food processor and give it a swirl. Put it back on the stove and add salt and pepper to your liking and a bit of milk.
- Toss with pasta: Boil some of your favorite pasta and toss with steamed broccoli, red pepper flakes, some olive oil, and some garlic to suit your fancy. A bit of parmesan on top and you are good to go.
- Serve with a dip: Cut up your raw broccoli into bite size pieces and serve with your favorite dipping sauce. Some carrots and cauliflower along with the broccoli will create a colorful plate for an appetizer.
- Make a gratin: Broccoli, toasted bread crumbs, a little bit of butter, and some low fat cheese all thrown together and tossed into the oven in a casserole dish can make a simple and delicious quick meal.
- Add some potatoes: Mix together some steamed broccoli with baked cubes of potatoes. Add some shredded cheddar cheese on top and place under the broiler to melt! Even better than nachos!